[ale] Developer learning track question

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 08:29:10 EST 2017

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 8:12 AM, DJ-Pfulio <djpfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:

> On 02/14/2017 07:51 AM, leam hall wrote:
> > My glue language is Ruby but parts of the tool would likely be in
> MongoDB,
> > Neo4J, PHP, and maybe even Go. Already using Ruby and SQLite, adding
> RubyTk.
>
> My first question would be if you need that many different languages,
> perhaps
> you don't have the correct hammer/screwdriver picked?  A few of the things
> listed above are extremely similar and effort to reduce those dependencies
> would
> be useful.
>
> Don't be like Redhat with 50 different languages in almost everything GUI
> they
> do.  KISS.
>
> For the other question - just in time learning will keep the project
> moving and
> not get you side-tracked.  We all get side-tracked.  I can look about the
> house
> and see 10 started, but not finished "projects."  For things I deem really
> important, I don't get side-tracked until they are finished.

Hehe...this is the simple version. I was looking at Google's new data
storage last week.  :P

Sadly, some of those needs conflict, so I'll need to make a decision in the
near term. There are a few Goals I'm working towards:

A. Learn skills that are useful at work and in finding better work.
B. Use tools that are free and open source.
C. Be as portable as possible so others can contribute.

 Here's the layout so far:

1. Data storage,
1.1  SQLite for very simple stuff used to create objects.
1.2. Something else for portable storage that can grow without table
relayouts, etc.

2. Presentation
2.1. Global, use PHP or maybe Javascript. I know more of the former, but
"more" is limited.
2.2. Needs to be able to host on a CentOS 6/7 node with CPanel type stuff.
(Goal C)
2.3. Show relationships (Neo4J)

3.  Creation
3.1.  Currently using Ruby since I like it and can use it.
3.2.  Learning more TDD and OOP in the process, (Goal A)

4.  Use Cases:
4.1.  Create characters for Traveller RPG.
4.1.1  On Web, or on user's own computer (portable to Windows/Mac)
4.2.  Store shared characters in web site.
4.3.  Show relationships between characters.
4.4.  Local and Web base data alteration by limited users.
4.5.  Use as character "bible" for my fiction writing.

--
Mind on a Mission <http://leamhall.blogspot.com/>