[ale] Router Recommendations?

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Sat Feb 11 07:24:25 EST 2017

On 02/11/2017 02:32 AM, dev null zero two wrote:
> that's very little traffic.. I'd be surprised if any rpi could do even 100 Mb/s
> with any aes based VPN.

It cannot. Network I/O is better than disk I/O, but at 100Mbps links, fairly
limited.  For running most home web-site stuff, I wouldn't mind using a r-pi v3.

But for file transfers, storage, and anything were I/O were necessary, a $50
intel pentium CPU will do wonders. For example, I see scp transfers around 520
Mbps with that box. It also runs VPN and DNS/DHCP VMs for me thanks to the VT-x
support.  The same $50 CPU runs Plex, Calibre, my NAS (20TB connected), and a
few other services for the LAN.  No Atom (even the C2000 series) or ARM system
will do that. The base system was built using parts - just the MB + CPU were new
- $100 deal 2 yrs ago for both.  It is faster than a 1st Gen Core i5 desktop.

It is a little too powerful and power hungry (54W) to be used as a home router.
Prefer the APU2 that uses 6W-10W depending on load.  OTOH, the house power bill
is $65-$80/month (4 bdr) except June-Aug, so I'm not really worried about
electric costs.