[ale] Router Recommendations?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Feb 10 11:55:31 EST 2017

Hi,

I got my fiber upgrade installed the other day and it looks like my poor
Mikrotik router just can't keep up.  When I connect my laptop directly
to my AT&T router speedtest.net gives me 500/950 (don't ask me why it's
only getting 500 down -- I plan to ask).  However, when I connect
through my Mikrotik I get limited to about 150-200 up/down.

So I'm looking to replace the Mikrotik, but looking for suggestions.
The two options I'm considering at the moment are a Ubiquiti Edgerouter
Pro 8 [0] for $316, or pfSense installed on a 4x1Gb quad-core celeron[1]
with 8G RAM and 64G mSATA SSD for $310.

My requirements:

1) sustained 1Gbps throughput, even via NAT, tunnels, or other routing
2) GRE tunnel support (used to tunnel my class-C network)
3) IPIP (protocol 41) tunnel support (used for HE's IPv6 tunnelbroker)
4) Some VPN solution (IPsec/OpenVPN/PPTP, for when I travel)
5) IPv4 policy based routing so I can route my class-C over the GRE
   tunnel and my RC1918 network via NAT (I'm pretty sure everything
   does this)
6) IPv6 policy based routing so I can have some machines on the IPv6
   tunnel and other hosts on an ISP-supplied IPv6 network and ensure
   packets get routed out the correct method.  (my mikrotik doesn't
   support this!)
7) Multiple IPs (both v4 and v6) on an interface (I run both my class-C
   and RFC1918 networks on the same LAN)

What do you all think about these options?  Which would be more likely
to support my requirements?

Thanks!

-derek

[0] https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-Edgerouter-Router-ERPro-8/dp/B00IA5J8M8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1486741909&sr=1-1&keywords=edgerouter+pro
[1] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MEGSMRZ?psc=1
--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745