[ale] Vizio TVs Sucking Privacy

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 10:27:28 EST 2017

To get back to the OP, Cory Doctorow has said that ensuring software
security is analogous to ensuring water quality. We have some (limited)
control over how good our water is, but ultimately we must trust the
chemists and technicians at the source of the water, whether they are at
the local municipal water plant or the factory where the water was bottled.
Sometimes even that trust is misplaced, as in Flint Michigan, other cities
with heavy metal contamination problems, and parts of Appalachia where coal
byproducts have polluted the water supply.

The companies who sell us the digital devices we use don't make those
devices secure for us. If I buy a Nest thermostat, a Vizio TV or even a
Philips Hue lightbulb, I must trust the organizations which made those
devices.  They currently have no motivation to work to deserve that
trust.   Perhaps some day after enough scandals some regulation will emerge.

I am vulnerable of course, as are we all.  The radio driver in my
smartphone, for example, is a Proprietary minefield of unexamined code and
secret security holes, in spite of the AOSP Android build on top of it.  I
have no clue at all about the software in my wife's new car, yet I trust my
life and family to it regularly.  That doesn't mean I should give up trying
to make myself safer.  If I lived in Flint, I would buy and use a water
still.  Here in Atlanta, I can use Open Source software on my computers.  I
can (for now) avoid devices like internet-connected lightbulbs, TVs which
surf the web, or TCP/IP enabled coffee pots, at least in my own home.  We
can only mitigate risk.  We cannot eliminate it, whether in our water or
our devices.

-- CHS

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 9:07 AM, Lightner, Jeffrey <JLightner at dsservices.com