[ale] Need a better DHCP server than ISC's

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 09:41:31 EST 2017

dnsmasq doesn't even come close to meeting the requirements.

For now, I've gone back to ancient ISC DHCP with include files for
reservations. There's some discussion on the Kea users mailing list about
overcoming the shortcomings I have encountered. I just don't have time to
deal with them right now.

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 4:16 PM, Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net>
wrote:

> On 2017-02-07 12:47, James Sumners wrote:
> > I need a DHCP server that allows me to reserve addresses in a database;
> > preferably PostgreSQL. Storing leases in the database would also be
> fantastic.
> > But I have two bigger requirements:
> >
> > 1. it needs to support shared subnets, e.g. the "shared-network" feature
> of ISC DHCP
> > 2. it needs to support sending strings with commas for options 172 and
> 242
> >
> > I've been trying out Kea for the past month or so. It's mostly great,
> but I just
> > found out that it doesn't support shared subnets. So I can't use it.
> >
> > Anyone have any OSS suggestions?
>
> Try dnsmasq
>
> There was a thread about the equivalent shared network setup on their
> mailing list:
>
> http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/
> 2007q1/001277.html

James Sumners