[ale] eth numbering change

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Feb 9 18:39:57 EST 2017

It does suck, but in this case I think they make a valid point. I gripped about this sometime back and then read up on it.

In my case I remove the config layer from the user where I install CentOS or RHEL. My config code is setup to look for eth0. Those bits need to change to those machines so that I know what LAN1 is.

USB is very unpredictable. Many times I need to map a physical device with a real config. Network interfaces allow me to use MAC. Cheap USB->Serial cables do not even have a serial # flashed so I have to resort to physical USB port to tie a config to one.