[ale] eth numbering change

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Thu Feb 9 16:38:07 EST 2017

On 2017-02-09 12:44, Phil Turmel wrote:
> On 02/09/2017 12:19 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
>> On 2017-02-09 09:15, Phil Turmel wrote:
>
>>> This is also true for hard drives.  And all of this is precisely the
>>> reason udev persistent name rules were created, and blkid label and uuid
>>> names are used.
>>>
>>> Don't use ethX names with modern kernels.  Period.
>>>
>>> Phil
>>
>> I wouldn't say never.  I had one installation that steadfastly refused
>> to boot properly with UUIDs for the disk.  It was a very recent kernel,
>> too, which made it much more confusing.  I had to force it back to using
>> /dev/sdAN references to get things working.
>
> The kernel doesn't process any of the naming schemes.  It all goes to
> udev, which must be in the initramfs to boot off of a LABEL or UUID
> root.  What you described is an initramfs failure.

<shrug> I'm just the end user of initramfs so if the developer breaks it
in such a way that UUIDs or other device IDs don't work right then I've
got nothing other than a workaround which happens to work.  Given that
initramfs is linked with kernel work then there was a nice breakdown
somewhere between the kernel version and the initraamfs generation.
Fortunately skipping UUIDs entirely allowed the system to boot normally
even though the initramfs build process would complete "without errors".