[ale] eth numbering change

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Thu Feb 9 12:15:04 EST 2017

On 02/08/2017 05:02 PM, Brian Stanaland wrote:
> There were no udev rules in place. We set that up so the NICs were named
> the way they wanted. It's possible that the motherboards were from
> different production runs. The wired order of the slots isn't something
> we would specify.
>
> That answers the question for me.

Well, not necessarily.  The wired order is often the most significant
factor, but the kernel is free to probe asynchronously nowadays.  The
slightest hiccup in the normal "eth0" driver could delay it long enough
for the "eth1" device to initialize first, flipping the "natural" order.

This is also true for hard drives.  And all of this is precisely the
reason udev persistent name rules were created, and blkid label and uuid
names are used.

Don't use ethX names with modern kernels.  Period.

Phil