[ale] Programming and preferred languages?

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 04:43:41 EST 2017

Last night's fun was mostly turning working local code into a package.
Kludges to the left of me, relative dirs to the right, and here I am...

It was fun to face the challenge. It was less fun to again get the "you
should upgrade" thing on IRC. Few IRC Rubyists seem to care that
upgrades take time and planning on large server farms, and if I'm not
giving much in value then there's no ROI on the upgrade.

http://blog.reuel.net/2016/08/using-ruby-187-for-fun-and-uh-fun.html

Sorry, having some whine with the morning coffee. What was cool was
reading the language code to get better clues as to why my code was
failing, fixing those issues, and then starting to fix new issues raised
by package installation.

Part of the challenge is getting larger projects in my portfolio. Since
my day job isn't coding I'm working after hours on things that please
me. That pleasure, like last night, helps push past the "dang, it failed
again".

Of course, the idea crosses the mind to put my code's data into portable
formats like json and sqlite, and then write basic ports into different
languages. I already have some Go code doing that.

Also, yesterday wasn't a great day. Reading your wisdom really helped me
keep a good attitude at work. Thank you very much!