[ale] Programming and preferred languages?

Doug Hall doughalldev at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 13:33:27 EST 2017

As a developer, I've noticed a shift, in the past few years, toward
functional programming languages. This shift is primarily to take advantage
of multiple core processors. In these languages, data is immutable, so that
shared memory is not a limiting factor with processes. If you come from a
ruby background, I would highly recommend you take a look at Elixir, which
was, and is being developed by José Valim, a former member of the Rails
core team. José's exposure to ruby shows up in Elixir, so it won't be
entirely foreign to you. Also, Dave Thomas has jumped on the Elixir
bandwagon and has a pretty decent book on it, too. I'm learning it myself,
and so far, I like it very much. Some experience in a functional language
like this might help to distinguish your résumé.

Doug Hall