[ale] How do you deal with SSO at home?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Dec 13 15:21:19 EST 2017

On 12/13/2017 02:14 PM, Lightner, Jeffrey wrote:
> I thought NIS+ solved the issues of original NIS.  I've never used NIS+ so wouldn't swear to it.

NIS+ clients are free.  NIS+ server is Solaris only. That's a deal
breaker for me.  Need a Linux-based solution, prefer Ubuntu Server or
Debian.  RHEL/CentOS is a big as for 1 part of an existing infrastructure.

I need a mix of POSIX and web authentication.  Shared storage is
server-to-server, not user-to-server, so I don't need that.

I've used LDAP previously, using Zimbra (with openldap) as the source DB
for everything.  Zimbra updates over the years broke that integration
and I'm unwilling to deal with those hassles anymore.

Rant reply - people with just a few email addresses don't have much hope
for security. Certainly you should never use the same email for your
bank and **any** other accounts.  Same for Amazon. Same for your broker.
Same for your 401(k) provider.  So that means most professional people
here need at least 6 email addresses if you add in a social account and
work.

I liked how NIS worked, but I just can't take those security risks
today.  It is a different world.