[ale] Slightly OT: Coding program to hit several keys at once

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 11:22:28 EST 2017

I want to write some code to simulate a braille keyboard. A braille
keyboard has 7 keys. One is the space bar. The other 6 you press at the
same time in different combinations. So, for example, on a braille
keyboard, to make the letter x, you press the 1, 3, 4, and 6 keys at
once. I want to simulate that by allowing the user to press the f, s, j,
and l keys at the same time. Does anybody know of a programming language
that handles something like that nicely? If you were going to recommend
a programming language to do that, what would it be?

My goal is to write a text editor that allows a user to type braille and
saves the output in BRF format. So the user hits the f, s, j, and l keys
at once and the editor puts a BRF character x into the buffer.

Right now, I'm leaning toward python because python has a gaming library
that seems to allow you to hit several keys at once. But maybe somebody
has done something like this in C or C++. I am about as sure as I can be
that perl won't work. I don't particularly care about the programming
language because by now I've learned so many different programming
languages in my life I figure I can learn another one in a few
days/weeks. I don't actually care if the code is portable to other
operating systems other than linux.  That might be nice but it's not
important.

--
Todd