[ale] List issue

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Fri Dec 1 09:30:03 EST 2017

Given that AT&T uses Yahoo for its email customers I'd think such an attitude would block many.

There is one list I joined that wouldn't accept email because my company includes a privacy notice on every outbound email.   I advised the folks on that list that such notices do not have force of law and many organizations do this so by having such a policy on their end they're limiting technical users that might help.   They didn't bother to respond and I don't bother with that list any longer.

One of the things that truly annoys me about lists like this is how many individuals think they can dictate how the rest of the world should act where it comes to lists.   The number of "don't bottom post", "don't top post", "don't inline post" and "don't trim" messages one sees should make it clear that not everyone agrees on what is "best" so there is no reason to heed any such messages.

Other than moderation of outrageous posts one really shouldn't expect much more from a list than to be able to received and respond to messages.  By outrageous I mean spam/phishing/name calling - I even accept emails by the misguided who say emacs is better than vim.  :-)