[ale] anybody got a stock .htaccess for read-only apache website

Joey Kelly joey at joeykelly.net
Fri Aug 11 15:48:48 EDT 2017

> Apparently my Godaddy linux apache website has been hacked by someone
> who planted some bogus .php files, and overwrote my primary .htaccess.
>
> Godaddy discovered it.

A radical idea, I know, but why not purchase a Linode and give accounts to
trusted folks instead of paying evil corporations (or getting "free"
services) for less functionality and more fail? For a buck or two a month,
everyone knows what they're getting, etc..

--Joey

> I removed the offending .php files.
>
> I removed the clauses in the primary .htaccess which appeared to feed
> those bogus .php files.
>
> I have asked Godaddy to provide me with their recommended stock,
> restrictive .htaccess file for read-only websites.    All of our static
> html is updated by me via ssh.    I do not know how someone managed to
> alter my website.   I would guess they used some tool Godaddy provides
> which isn't configured properly to restrict, or which has a default
> login.
>
> Thus far they are running around in circles.
>
> Does anyone have a best practices .htaccess file to start with?  I'm
> guessing it would be something starting with...
>
>         IndexIgnore .htpasswd .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README*
>         */_vti*
>
>         <Limit POST PUT DELETE>
>         require valid-user
>         </Limit>
>
>         AuthName webuser
>         AuthUserFile /var/www/cgi-bin/.htpasswd
>
>         AuthType Basic
>

> Regards,
>
> Neal Rhodes
> MNOP Ltd

Joey Kelly
Minister of the Gospel and Linux Consultant
http://joeykelly.net
504-239-6550