[ale] [OT] Deep in the woods communications to home?

Sean kilpatms at comcast.net
Thu Aug 3 11:42:42 EDT 2017

A few observations based on years of hiking and canoeing throughout
Appalachia:

Problems tend to occur in the valleys -- NOT on the ridge lines. Radios
mostly do NOT work in the deep valleys throughout the area.  Law
enforcement/rescue personnel fight this problem constantly.

So, do NOT rely on a cell phone in the deep boonies of Appalachia.
Unless you are atop a ridge you will not have "line of sight" to a cell
tower.

Cheapest solution is to NEVER hike alone if going out of shouting
distance of a road.  The least expensive, reliable piece of rescue
equipment is a good whistle.

Sean