[ale] [OT] Deep in the woods communications to home?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Aug 2 14:49:05 EDT 2017

On 08/02/2017 12:02 PM, leam hall wrote:
> My photographer wife does a lot of nature photography where cell phones
> don't always go. Without requiring a HAM license and carrying a huge
> pack, are there good emergency comm options?

Depends on what she considers "emergency."

A relative of mine likes to climb mountains.  She has a satellite ping
device that tracks where on the world she is.  She's pretty cheap, so I
doubt it costs more than $50/month for a tracking plan and I doubt the
device is over $200.  It is fun to track her path from a webpage. She's
never used the "emergency" mode it has.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-personal-locator-beacon

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/personal-locator-beacons.html

I've hiked in some fairly remote places and never had any of these
things, but when I go **really** remote, I'm not alone. I do hike around
the SE alone sometimes - friends have issues (jobs) which prevent them
heading out for a few days during the week. ;)  Hiking with friends is
always more fun.