[ale] [OT] Deep in the woods communications to home?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Wed Aug 2 12:50:23 EDT 2017

On 2017-08-02 09:30, leam hall wrote:
> Are they Line of Sight? I know ham radios have repeaters but not sure about CB.

Ham radio doesn't always use repeaters if you use HF (VHF and UHF does)
but a repeater isn't always in range.  HF would be better for deep
wilderness (there are small HF radios) but you do need the appropriate
General class or above license.  If she's "in nature" but not too far
off the beaten path then high power (20-50 watt) VHF would work provided
the terrain cooperates and she's got a good path to a repeater or
someone listening.

CB does not use repeaters, all units are limited to under 5 watts
maximum power, and you have to hope someone is in earshot (range is
10-20 miles average).  Ham VHF power limit is 1500 watts technically.
Handheld radios are typically 5 watts for practical reasons but there
are small radios intended for cars which could be carried and transmit
up to 50 watts.  I've done both (handheld and carried a car radio), not
too bad.  For emergency use she wouldn't need a very large battery.