[ale] [OT] Deep in the woods communications to home?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Wed Aug 2 12:41:50 EDT 2017

On 2017-08-02 09:02, leam hall wrote:
> My photographer wife does a lot of nature photography where cell phones don't
> always go. Without requiring a HAM license and carrying a huge pack, are there
> good emergency comm options?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Leam

Emergency comms for being extracted by a SAR team or true two way
communication?  If it's just for an emergency injured/evacuate then pick
up an EPIRB (locator beacon).  Pull the pin and an evacuation team will
show up.

For two way communication you get into the "how much do you want to
pay?" area.  Iridium has both subscriptions and prepaid plans (prepaid
minutes expire).  The lowest plans are around $25/month or $300/year for
emergency service (no minutes) and calls are $5.99/minute no text
messages.  Larger plans have minutes but larger yearly or monthly
prices.  You still have to buy the phone ($600-$1000 for an average phone).