[ale] Realigning a partition with data

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sun Apr 23 16:45:29 EDT 2017

In this case the old drive was MSDOS partition with 512b blocks so it's
not 4k aligned.  The file system itself is ext2.  When I imaged the old
drive with ddrescue, I pulled the entire drive in so I'd have the boot
sector and the primary partition (there was only two partitions on the
original drive and one was swap).  I killed off the swap partition then
stretched out the main partition a bit to accommodate the contents of a
second drive that was installed (single partition as well).  I was more
concerned about the block erasing during TRIM in the SSD with unaligned
sectors.

It's mainly used as the network syslog server to record all the logs
from various network devices (cameras, phones, etc.), some data logging
from remote sensors (database), plus I do some internal web applications
with it.  Not really heavy usage.

I've got plenty of old machines floating around with 5.25 floppies or
other storage media.  :)  In rough order of age of all my functional
machines:

Timex Sinclair (tape drive from a TRS-80 is floating around though the
TRS-80 is no longer here)
[Used to have a NorthStar branded CP/M machine with hard-sector 5.25
floppies and integrated green screen -- I taught myself dBase III on it
and cataloged all my electronic parts with it.  It's long gone but it
was functional]
Emerson branded 80286 (this became a modem server though it needs fixing up)
NeXT slab
2x Sun IPXes with external enclosures (one of them is my network GPS clock)
Unbranded (from parts) 386DX with 387 coproc
Packard Bell branded 486SX (now with a 486DX2/66 chip)
Unbranded Pentium II 266 (for experiments)
4x Sun Enterprise 220Rs with dual UltraSPARC II processors (lots of
experiments)
1x Sun SparcStation 20 (RAID server using 2 Sun A1000 arrays)
Unbranded AMD K6 (the topic of conversation)
Toshiba Satellite 1900 series laptop
Averatec laptop
Unbranded Pentium 4 (previous desktop)
3x Raspberry Pi B+
Unbranded Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge (current desktop)