[ale] [OT] Effective, non-ripoff, cheaper-than-Comcast/AT&T Internet for apartment

Byron Jeff byronjeff at clayton.edu
Mon Apr 17 12:10:43 EDT 2017

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:06:44AM -0400, Kyle Brieden wrote:
> >Plus, I am given to understand that they are actually making a
> >serious effort to improve their abysmal customer service.
>
> I can vouch for the fact that they aren't.  It is still just awful.
> Truly, terribly, abysmally, finger-nails-on-chalk-board,
> cellophane-rubbing-against-cellophane, chewing-on-aluminium-foil
> awful.  I'm not sure I have the vocabulary to portray just how bad
> Comcast is, nor do I possess the ability to portray just how little
> people should willingly give Comcast money.
>
> </soapbox>

I can certainly feel your pain. But I have to admit, my 2nd spin on the
carosel these last two years is significantly better than the 1st time
around 10 years ago. Back then, 45 minute hold times were normal. In my
limited phone interactions with them this time around, they at least answer
the phone. Minimal progress.

The real progress for me is that the services work for the most part and
that I've been able to insert my own equipment into their system for
residential service. This represents a huge cost advantage over satellite
providers for TV service as I'm paying $1.50 each for two CableCards to get
6 tuners in my HDHomeRun Prime. Also both internet and telephone run
through my purchased modem. Not a monthly equipment charge in sight.
Finally my modem operates up to 300 Mbps and I've seen 125 Mbps download
speed on my 100 Mbps nominal account in recent weeks.

So all in all, the improved customer service I've seen is a working system
where I don't need to call in for anything.

Just my two cents as to why Comcast is current getting my dollars. But my
two year stint with them is up this summer. So I guess it may be time to
start scanning to see if there may be a better deal.

BAJ

> ---
> Very respectfully,
> Kyle Brieden
>
> On 16-04-2017 21:33, Greg Clifton wrote:
> >Comcast is running a $19.99 for 1 year promotion right now. That price
> >& performance would be hard to beat. Plus, I am given to understand
> >that they are actually making a serious effort to improve their
> >abysmal customer service.

> >>aunt) who
> >>to know
> >>away, bought
> >>
> >>Depending on your needs Ting might be a good option. Data charges
> >>are
> >>$10/GB. May not be the cheapest around but my wife and I have been
> >>on
> >>Ting now for a few months and we've been happy. I can't speak highly
> >>enough about their customer service.

> >Links:
> >------

> pub  4096R/89C9D831 2017-03-16 TxMoose <kyle at txmoose.com>
> sub  4096R/3DA336C3 2017-03-16

Byron A. Jeff
Associate Professor: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://faculty.clayton.edu/bjeff