[ale] Ubuntu 17.04 Flavors ...

Edward O. Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Mon Apr 17 10:36:50 EDT 2017

I use the standard Unity flavor (happy to see the end of Unity though).
I've upgraded three machines so far, all desktops.

Machine 1:
Home use desktop tower 8 core AMD 16GB RAM. No issues. DHCP fine, encrypted
boot drive, access Samba shares all good. Of the three machines, this one
has the greatest range of odd multimedia software installed from non-Ubuntu
repo's, so I would expect this one of all of them to give me some trouble,
but it has not.

Machine 2:
Work desktop tower 8 core AMD 16GB RAM dual boot with Debian. Samba, DHCP,
printing etc all good. However, this machine freezes up every night (I tend
to leave my machines running) requiring a hard reset. Still need to see
what's going on.

Machine 3:
HP work notebook i5 16GB RAM, dual boot with windows (but on separate
SSD's). Random total freezing, cannot get to a prompt or even ssh in,
sometimes within seconds of logging on. Sometimes will run for hours or not
freeze up at all. Still need to check out what's going on.

In a nutshell, typical Ubuntu desktop experience for me ... never quite
sure what kind of mileage I'm gonna get. Why do I keep doing this to
myself? I wish I knew.

hth
ed

*Edward O. Holcroft*
IT Operations Manager

*Madsen, Kneppers & Associates, Inc.*
Construction Consultants & Engineers
11695 Johns Creek Parkway, Suite 250
Johns Creek, GA 30097

*O*  770.446.9606  |  *F*  770.446.9612  |  *C*  770.630.0949  |
eholcroft at mkainc.com

www.mkainc.com

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 9:07 AM, DJ-Pfulio <DJPfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:

> Has anyone tried any of the Ubuntu 17.04 flavors released last week?
>
> I'm seeing all sorts of issues on the Ubuntu forums - DHCP not working,
> avahi mDNS, samba connections failing and some are having boot issues.
> All the network things could be related. Haven't looked into any
> closely, so I don't know anything factual, just what the forum users are
> reporting - which isn't always the real issue.
>
> Just curious if anyone has installed any flavor and how well it is
> working in your environments.
>

> For the booting issues, I've seen some related to mixed win10 + MBR
> install on the first disk, with Linux installed on a 2nd GPT disk.
> update-grub fixed it (that's an over simplification, but the root
> solution).

MADSEN, KNEPPERS & ASSOCIATES USA, MKA Canada Inc. WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY
NOTICE: This message may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately then delete it
- you should not copy or use it for any purpose or disclose its content to
any other person. Internet communications are not secure. You should scan
this message and any attachments for viruses. Any unauthorized use or
interception of this e-mail is illegal.