[ale] OT: Cell Phone recs Was Re: Android secondary security

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Fri Apr 14 09:34:58 EDT 2017

Further OT but this is why I like Bank of America’s Shopsafe.

Rather than giving people my real credit card number I can give them a temporary number generated in Shopsafe.

Moreover I can set a limit and an expiration on the card of as little as 2 months.   If I expect to pay $33 I might set the limit to $40 to allow for taxes or other charges not immediately apparent but they can’t charge more than the limit I set.

Another benefit I like in Shopsafe is that once the temporary number it has been charged by any one merchant it can’t be processed by any other merchant.   This means if the site I input the number on gets hacked right after I do the input and the merchant has already charged me (as is usually the case) the hacker gets nothing for his effort.   One can generate multiple Shopsafe numbers to use at different merchants.

This is also great for “services” that require you to give them a card for “automatic renewals”.   If you don’t want the automatic renewal you set the Shopsafe number to expire before merchant’s renewal date and the “automatic” will be rejected later.   (Of course you also set the limit to only allow the one charge so if they “automatic” on you before the expiration it will also fail.)