[ale] cord cutting for TV, SiliconDust, MythTV, recording to PC, etc.,

Narahari 'n' Savitha savithari at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 10:42:24 EDT 2017

Friends:

I am trying to discontinue DISH NETWORK service.

It requires I setup antenna.

I read JD's blog on this and it looks quite a bit of work and I am not a
very handy person.

I have an internal antenna (paid 5 bucks on a sale) and it picks up a few
channels.  I feel external antenna is a good idea (need input on this)

How to pick a good/great external antenna ?

What is the role of a tool like  Silicon Dust in this setup ? (My
understanding is SiliconDust converts video packets to  network packets)

Where can Silicon Dust record to ?  Does it require a PC ?  Can we connect
a HD recorder from network ? (if there is such a device) ?

If I record to PC from SiiconDust can it be done with Linux or it requires
Windows ?

How to stream from SiliconDust directly(or indirectly) to Apple
TV/Roku/Chrome ?

Thank  You
-N