[ale] Why Run your own email server?

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Thu Sep 29 23:48:43 EDT 2016

I've been running my own email server for over 15 years, and doubt  spend as much as ten hours a year on it.
If you have the right software configured right, it requires very little maintenance. At least for my system.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "George P. Burdell" <info+lug at southeastlinuxfest.org> 9/29/2016 1:21 PM >>>
Anybody who has actually run their own mail servers for a while knows how
much of a tremendous chore it is just to keep your mail from being
blacklisted.   Most major providers will, if one person acts up in your
datacenter and you're not at some enormous facility with a name brand,
simply ban the entire netblock.   They don't care about collateral damage.
  I even get mail server admins who block my Google Business email ... and
that's a PAYING space, and ergo one of the least polluted netblocks for
spam on the entire internet.

Oh yea, you can still do your own mail server.  But why on Earth would you
want to?   How much money is your time worth?   How valuable are your
emails?   How much does it cost you if an important one doesn't make it?
And I say that as a card carrying member of the EFF who has more than a
passing distaste for the surveillance state we have become.   The NSA
didn't kill private email servers ... spam did.

It also doesn't help that pretty much every stand alone mail client is
varying degrees of unsatisfactory (at least for my multi-account needs).
Opera Mail was PERFECT.  And they killed it.

And we'll assume for the sake of argument that spam filtering isn't a
problem and there are tremendous mail clients available.    That doesn't
fix that the overwhelming majority of email traffic goes over in clear
text, and the NSA will almost certainly see and record it in transit with
their strategy of putting snooping stations just upstream (up-pipe?) from
major people of interest like Google.   If one day all email is traversing
over SSL, Alex's idea will be the simplest way to defend your privacy
without signing up for the headache of running your own mail server.