[ale] Why Run your own email server?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Sep 29 20:45:55 EDT 2016

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 08:41:32 -0400
DJ-Pfulio <DJPfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have a setup to use some service like protonmail, but pull
> those messages local, stored in your own IMAP server that is
> accessible from the world like any other email?  The trick is to pull
> all the messages so none are stored on a service for very long ...
> and hope they don't have continuous backups.

Maybe.

My fetchmail triggers every 180 seconds (3 minutes) to imap-pull my
email. It plunks each email into procmail, which deposits each email
into the proper maildir folder of my local Dovecot server. I use
Claws-Mail as a periscope into my local Dovecot server.

Is that what you're talking about?

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28