[ale] Why Run your own email server?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Sep 29 13:40:01 EDT 2016

On 09/29/2016 01:21 PM, George P. Burdell wrote:
> But why on Earth would you want to?

We don't WANT to.  If you care about unwarranted Govt spying, what is
the real choice?

I blacklist entire subnets all the time. About 7800 currently blocked.
It isn't spam anymore - it is phishing emails these days.

I've also blacklisted gmail and yahoomail - through dynamic spammer lists.

My method isn't perfect, but I'm happy to share it if there is interest.
 The back-end email system can be anything and located anywhere (even on
a dynamic IP). The trick is the front-end email gateway.  For a family,
I bet a "tiny" EC2 instance would be sufficient.

We are Linux people. We CAN do this ourselves, with more privacy.