[ale] Why Run your own email server?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Sep 29 08:41:32 EDT 2016

Secret warrants with mute-clauses are my issue.

I also have an issue with non-specific searches ... which the 4th
amendment doesn't allow. That's the meaning of "probable cause" ... they
should already know what they need, not "give us everything" like net
fishing.  That isn't allowed.

Using any service doesn't stop secret warrants, if inside the USA.

If the mail is stored inside your locked property and you own and run
the systems, hard for a secret govt warrant to be delivered without your
knowledge.  It won't stop them from seeing it, but at least it won't be
secret. You will know.  If it is at a US-based VPS, you won't know.

OTOH, as we've seen millions of times, the public thinks google and
gmail are just fine.  Sheep. That isn't to say that you shouldn't have
gmail accounts. Hard to use an android phone that way, but definitely
limit the use of all those public accounts if you care about privacy at
all.  I know that google, microsoft, yahoo, and others are fighting the
USGovt over illegal, broad, warrants, but until they are successful, we
need to handle this ourselves.

ProtonMail is in a country that cares about privacy. They have free
accounts. I have a few but only use them for specialized needs.

Does anyone have a setup to use some service like protonmail, but pull
those messages local, stored in your own IMAP server that is accessible
from the world like any other email?  The trick is to pull all the
messages so none are stored on a service for very long ... and hope they
don't have continuous backups.

The same issues go for all cloud services. Giving away too much
information that can fairly easily be run from a R-pi at home.

We are Linux people. We CAN do this ourselves.

On 09/29/2016 07:24 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Yep!
>
> Free continuing services come with a price tag that's hidden.
>
> Startmail offers very affordable, very secure email service. Same bunch
> that does startpage search.
>
> I'm having a similar discussion with work about continually using github
> for work-in-progress code that is used with patient data. Students have
> pushed portions of code that should not be public yet for various
> reasons and it's a problem.
>

> On Sep 29, 2016 5:33 AM, "DJ-Pfulio" <DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
> <mailto:DJPfulio at jdpfu.com>> wrote:
>
>     Even client/lawyer communications aren't safe from DHS prying:
>
>     http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/dr20160927-feds-we-can-read-all-your-email-and-you-ll-never-know
>     <http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/dr20160927-feds-we-can-read-all-your-email-and-you-ll-never-know>

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT
professionals.