[ale] Use cloud guest to compile kernel

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 09:54:48 EDT 2016

On Sep 25, 2016 9:01 AM, "Boris Borisov" <bugyatl at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2 days? Not that I have compiled kernel recently.

My thoughts exactly. My last kernel compile was about a year ago and it
took 15-20 minutes. That's about what it has always required over the
years. Of course I got rid of that IBM PC Jr well over a decade ago :-)

cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:

>>> Is this a bad idea?
>>>
>>> I need to compile a 4.7.2 kernel for i586.  The kernel config is copied
from debian jessie with CONFIG_M586TSC=y.

>>> I don't have 2 days to wait.
>>>
>>> 1.  Spin up a CentOS 6.X 32 bit guest at Digital Ocean with 8 cores and
16GB of ram.  This is $0.25/ht
>>> 2. Transfer linux-4.7.2.tar.xz and the config to it.
>>> 3.  Unpack, copy the config to .config, make, create package, and
transfer back to the i586 hardware.
>>> 4.  Delete the guest. I only pay for the usage.
>>>
>>> I'm doing this on a Digital Ocean guest of lowest power.  Only
0.007/hr.  It is still taking a long time.
>>> I need to build the same kernel, but for i586, i686, and x86_64.  I
have the configs ready to go.  I'm also perfecting my packaging too so I
may have to build a few times.

>>> I making assumptions based on my assumption that I can use 8 cores at
100% each for a couple hours.  With Azure I can pay for a quarter core for
testing under Winders.