[ale] Use cloud guest to compile kernel

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Sep 23 14:42:05 EDT 2016

Is this a bad idea?

I need to compile a 4.7.2 kernel for i586. The kernel config is copied from debian jessie with CONFIG_M586TSC=y.

I don't have 2 days to wait.

1. Spin up a CentOS 6.X 32 bit guest at Digital Ocean with 8 cores and 16GB of ram. This is $0.25/ht
2. Transfer linux-4.7.2.tar.xz and the config to it.
3. Unpack, copy the config to .config, make, create package, and transfer back to the i586 hardware.
4. Delete the guest. I only pay for the usage.

I'm doing this on a Digital Ocean guest of lowest power. Only 0.007/hr. It is still taking a long time.
I need to build the same kernel, but for i586, i686, and x86_64. I have the configs ready to go. I'm also perfecting my packaging too so I may have to build a few times.

I making assumptions based on my assumption that I can use 8 cores at 100% each for a couple hours. With Azure I can pay for a quarter core for testing under Winders.