[ale] hmm. yer never too old to trip on Grep Reg Expressions

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Thu Sep 22 14:46:03 EDT 2016

So, I need to look in about a bazillion source files for variants of

        DEFINE BUFFER SNORT FOR ALTPLAN.
        Define Buffer Blech for AltPlan.
        Def    Buff   Blurf for AltPlan.
        Def Buff Blurf for AltPlan.
        def buff blurf for altplan.
        define buff blurf for altplan.
        define                      buffer                   blorf for
        altplan.
        define  new shared buffer                   blorf for altplan.

And grap 3 lines before, 10 lines afterwards, source file and  line#.

I was thinking this would to it:

        grep -i -B 3 -A 10 -H -n -r -f buf-grep.inp * > buf.grep.out

Where buf-grep.inp was

        def*buff*for*ALTPLAN

        def*buff*for*ARM

        def*buff*for*ARMNOTE

Alas it is not thus, and the more I study the reg exp notes the more I
see there error of my ways, and the less I see an expression that would
work.

Regards,

Neal