[ale] Tmux, where have you been alll my life?

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Sep 21 17:54:16 EDT 2016

Can you explain a bit more. I know you can use tmux to connect to a socket. I could SSH into my desktop from anywhere and connect to its socket.

I install devices in the field and redirect output to different VTs. I could just start a tmux session as root, spawn programs to get and display the output instead? Is it possible to latch onto /dev/console?

> My work setup has four monitors that regularly have ssh sessions up on them.
> With tmux, I can move the current activity to the "primary" monitor and have
> others for referencing log files, man pages, running compiles, etc. that are
> related to what I'm doing on the primary window. Then, when I need to reconnect
> from home, I can do the same thing (albeit with fewer monitors) and have the
> current activity on one monitor and reference information on the other. And I
> don't need to reconnect to various hosts, re-run session commands, etc.

> But, for me, the killer app for tmux is being able to do something akin to csshX
> inside a terminal without having to install anything on the box I'm sitting at
> other than an ssh client. Being able to run 'mwin
> {web,app,db}host-{dev,ref,prod}{1,2}' and get an ssh session on 14 systems with
> multiplexed input to be able to work on all of them at the same time to be able
> to tweak a config, trigger chef/puppet, deploy a security patch, etc. is
> amazing.

If you are on a system that has ssh client you'll just ssh to a remove system and execute tmux?

> As far as "what is the tmux command to do X?" "C-b ?" is your friend (or, for
> folks like me who remap C-b to C-a, "C-a ?"). If anyone is interested in my
> tmux configurations (and helper scripts like 'mwin' listed above), I have them
> in https://github.com/dylannorthrup/dotfiles/ . My .tmux.conf is in the top
> level, helper scripts are under ~/.tmux and 'mwin' is under ~/bin. Happy to
> answer any questions folks might have.

I'm curious about your setup I'll check your .dotfiles.