[ale] NTP/Chrony time zone persistence

Edward O. Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Thu Sep 15 16:56:11 EDT 2016

In all the time I've been staring at this, I never realized they're months
apart ... I was only looking at the hours ...

*Edward O. Holcroft*
IT Operations Manager

*Madsen, Kneppers & Associates, Inc.*
Construction Consultants & Engineers
11695 Johns Creek Parkway, Suite 250
Johns Creek, GA 30097

*O*  770.446.9606  |  *F*  770.446.9612  |  *C*  770.630.0949  |
eholcroft at mkainc.com

www.mkainc.com

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
> I highly doubt that's the case here.
> The time isn't a mere hours apart.  They are MONTHS apart.
> The hwclock says September 14; the system comes up in December.
> That's not a timezone issue or mismatch.
> That's pure failure.
>
> -derek
>
> On Thu, September 15, 2016 2:28 pm, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
> > I know older versions of SUSE on ESX 5.x have issues with time sync and
> > I believe it's kernel related as I recall.
> >
> > We've got RHEL and CentOS < 7 (5 & 6) running in ESX 5.x without this
> > type of time issue.
> >
> > Another thing to consider is the actually BIOS and ESX time/timezone
> > settings. Is the BIOS in UTC or localtime? Same with the ESX server
> > itself. Does this differ from the CentOS guest VM? It could be that the
> > systems don't match in what they believe the hwclock time is set to and
> > are treating it incorrectly on startup when the OS will look at the
> > hwclock to get the initial time and set it.
> >
> > On 9/15/2016 12:25 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> >> This was ages ago. pre esx6
> >>
> >> I'm not running esx except as legacy. All VM hosting is Ovirt so I
> >> can't test

> >> --
> >> James P. Kinney III
> >>
> >> Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you
> >> gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his
> >> own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
> >> - Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain
> >>
> >> http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/

>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>        derek at ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com
>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

MADSEN, KNEPPERS & ASSOCIATES USA, MKA Canada Inc. WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY
NOTICE: This message may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately then delete it
- you should not copy or use it for any purpose or disclose its content to
any other person. Internet communications are not secure. You should scan
this message and any attachments for viruses. Any unauthorized use or
interception of this e-mail is illegal.