[ale] Tmux, where have you been alll my life?

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Sep 14 10:54:55 EDT 2016

I do a lot of programming. I also test. I also do support. I create a lot of bugs.

The last statement sums up why tmux works for me. I need to see as many lines of code on my screen as possible.

Consider right now I'm going through LFS on 3 pieces of hardware at once. i586, i686, and x86_64. I can see the progress of each on one screen.

To give you an idea of why I've taken a screen shot.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2486826/tmux.png

I can click in any window. If I need more lines and columns I can adjust with my mouse. If I need to really focus I can use 'C-b z' to expand that window to full. Use the same keys to put it back to original size.

Before tmux I'd click on different tabs to check on progress. In the shot you will notice only 9 tabs in gnome-terminal. I'd normally have many more.

My goals with the software I create is: "See as much info as possible in as few seconds as possible". Scrolling, clicking links, and digging turns seconds into minutes. "Walk into a NOC, look at the main screen from the door you just went through and see the overall picture."