[ale] Tmux, where have you been alll my life?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 08:28:21 EDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 8:08 AM, DJ-Pfulio <djpfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:

> Just looked at that tmux cheat sheet.  Seems like a bunch of complexity
> and keys
> just to do something a push of a mouse will handled when using multiple
> xterms
> with focus-follows-mouse setup in the WM.
>
> I've got to be missing something. For years people I respect have been
> crazy for
> screen or tmux, but I just don't see the point.
> * My connections are solid, disconnects just don't happen.
> * I know how to use 'tee' so monitoring running jobs from anywhere isn't
> hard.
> * My desktop can be accessed from anywhere in the world, so anything
> running
> there will be seen as it progresses (GUI stuff).
> * I know how to use batch processing (TaskSpooler) and 'at' for long
> running
> tasks that need to be queued.
> * screen layouts are handled by normal X/Windows resources and WM settings.
> Hadar xterms open upper left. Romulus xterms open lower right. ... have
> settings
> for those things for decades.
>
> I've got to be missing something that tmux does. Right? Please convert me.
>
> I learn best by seeing - is there a great youtube video showing off tmux
> that I
> should watch?

Connections do fail. I don't care how stable they are 99.9999999% of the
time. Do you want that rare occurrence to screw up a vitally important
operation? If not, use a multiplexer.

In general, it's nice to have a multiplexer so that work can simply be
resumed when moving from one computer to another. They also offer much
greater flexibility over a single connection and a single terminal window.

--
James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)