[ale] Small Clusters for VMs

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 22:37:58 EDT 2016

On Oct 28, 2016 10:28 PM, "Derek Atkins" <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> So here's a question:  have you tried running oVirt on a single machine
> (sort of like the old vmware-server)?  I.e., a single machine that has
> CPU and Disk, running a hypervisor, ovirt-engine, etc?

Closest is the converged setup with the manager as a vm.

> It seems silly to run NFS off a local disk just to get Self-Hosted oVirt
> to work..  But of course they stopped supporting the "AllInOne" in
> ovirt-4.0 and don't seem to support local storage for the
> SelfHostedEngine.

Can't do local storage for converged. Just use the host system to provide
the storage.

> Any Ideas?
>
> Second question:  is there a web-ui password-change for the AAA-JDBC
> plugin?  I.e., can users change their own passwords?

Not that I've seen. Adding users to the internal auth process is not
recommended. Ldap is recommended. I use freeipa.

> -derek
>
> Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 2016-10-28 at 10:49 -0400, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> >
> >     Thanks for responding.
> >
> >     Sheepdog is the storage backend. This is the way cloud stuff works
on
> >     the cheap. Not a NAS.  It is distributed storage with a minimal
> >     redundancy set (I'm planning 3 copies).  Sheepdog only works with
qemu
> >     according to research, which is fine.
> >
> >     Sure, I could setup a separate storage NAS (I'd use AoE for this),
but
> >     that isn't needed. I already have multiple NFS servers, but don't
use
> >     them for hosting VMs today. They are used for data volumes, not
redundancy.

> >            >> Opinions follow (danger if you love what I don't) <<
> >
> >     Won't be using oVirt (really RHEL only and seems to be 50+ different
> >     F/LOSS projects in 500 different languages [I exaggerate] ) or
XenServer
> [...]
from
> >     ESX/ESXi and Xen to KVM, not once.
> >
> > Ovirt is only 49 projects and 127 languages! Really!
> >
> > Ovirt is just the web gui front end (pile of java) with a mostly python
> > backend that runs KVM and some custom daemons to keep track of what is
running
> > and where. It is most certainly geared towards RHEL/CentOS. That may be
an
> > irritant to some. I've found the tool chain to JustWork(tm). I need VMs
to run
> > with minimal effort on my part as I have no time to fight the
complexity. I've
> > hacked scripts to do coolness with KVM but found Ovirt did more than I
could
> > code up with the time I have. It really is a GPL replacement for VMWARE
> > Vsphere.
> >
> >     And won't be dedicating the entire machines just to being storage
or VM
> >     hosts, so proxmox clusters aren't an option.  The migration from
plain
> >     VMs into sheepdog appears pretty straight forward (at least on
youtube).

> > One thing I like with Ovirt is I can install the host node code on a
full
> > CentOS install or use the hypervisor version and dedicate a node
entirely.
> > I've used both and found them to be well suited for keeping VMs
running. If
> > there is an issue with a node, I have a full toolchain to work with. I
don't
> > use the hypervisor in production.
> >
> > A major issue for my use is the need to have certain VM up and running
at all
> > times. Ovirt provides a process to migrate a VM to an alternate host if
it
> > (host or VM) goes down. The only "gotcha" of that is the migration
hosts must
> > provide the same cpu capabilities so no mixing of AMD and Intel without
> > setting the VMs to be i686.
> >
> >     Just doing research today. Need to sleep on it. Probably won't try
> >     anything until Sunday night.
> >
> > Download CentOS 7.2
> > Install VM host version
> > yum install epel-release
> > Follow direction here: https://www.ovirt.org/release/4.0.4/
> > starting with:
> > yum install http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/yum-repo/ovirt-release40.rpm
> >
> > Be aware that when docs refer to NFS mounts, the server for that can be
one of
> > the nodes that has drive space. ISO space is where <duh> iso images are
kept
> > for installations. I have one win10 VM running now for a DBA with
specialty
> > tool needs.
> >
> >     On 10/28/2016 10:23 AM, Beddingfield, Allen wrote:
> >
> >         Will you have shared storage available (shared LUN or high
performance NFS for the virtual hard drives that all hosts can access?)
> >         If so, the easiest free out of the box setup is XenServer or
oVirt.  I'm familiar with XenServer, but there are some oVirt fans on here,
I know.

DJ-Pfulio" <ale-bounces at ale.org on behalf of DJPfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:

> >             I'm a little behind the times.  Looking to run a small
cluster of VM
> >             hosts, just 2-5 physical nodes.
> >
> >             Reading implies it is pretty easy with 2-5 nodes using a
mix of
> >             sheepdog, corosync and pacemaker running on qemu-kvm VM
hosts.

> >             Is that true?  Any advice from people who've done this
already?

> >             So, is this where you'd start for small home/biz redundant
VM cluster?