[ale] Bash vs Perl

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 11:01:40 EDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 12:08:48 -0400
> leam hall <leamhall at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > My unsolicited opinion, based off using Ruby, is that if the cost of
> > a fork is critical use C or Go. Otherwise, "a difference that makes
> > no difference is no difference".
>
> Bash **REALLY** slows for fork. Run the test program inside a big loop.
> If I remember correctly, it's an order of magnitude slower than the
> same loop in Python, all because of spawning test.
>
> High repetition loops in Bash are much worse than in Python or Perl.
>
> SteveT

Hey Steve, that was sort of my point. If the fork is run once a day and
takes 5 minutes instead of 2, is that really a problem? Granted there are
much better technical solutions, but if you only have so much time to code,
is the performace gain worth the effort?

--
Mind on a Mission <http://leamhall.blogspot.com/>