[ale] Bash vs Perl

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Mon Oct 24 15:51:59 EDT 2016

You can avoid a lot of performance drain from doing multiple processes based on large files but putting the file into an array in bash then doing your subsequent processing against that array.   It eliminates the disk reads that would otherwise make things go to a crawl.   Of course you can (and usually do) do that in Perl and other languages.

The reason Perl is typically more efficient is it isn’t having to invoke subshells for calls to modules/routines whereas bash and other shells do.