[ale] Bash vs Perl

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Oct 24 12:00:59 EDT 2016

Yes. I do know you can do regex, but those features come at the cost of portability.

The biggest ding in bash over perl could be the expense of fork(). Using bash features that are not portable could recoup those.

For those not following, text processing in shell is accomplished using a pipeline into other programs that my pipe into other programs. For small jobs this expense in minimal. Large jobs may not have the budget...

When I use shell to do X and that X includes a database insert it is many times faster for me to just have bash create a SQL file and then I import that. The alternative is 1000s of fork then exec sqlite3 or mysql for each row. Just the nature of the shells. We have languages that can grab and maintain a database handle.