[ale] Bash vs Perl

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Sun Oct 23 20:23:08 EDT 2016

I think that the Bourne shell itself had great success largely because of
its easy but powerful language.  Bash is backwards compatible, so if you
learn to program with Bourne shell all your scripts work with bash but also
with dash, ash, and others.

There is a great book by Blinn if you are interested in trying this take on
the situation.

https://smile.amazon.com/Portable-Shell-Programming-Extensive-Collection/dp/0134514947/

By the time I really need bash features, it's usually already time to move
to something like perl, C, Go, etc.

  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>