[ale] Bash vs Perl

Michael Potter michael at potter.name
Sat Oct 22 16:36:15 EDT 2016

Chris,

Did you attend my bash presentation several years ago?

I wrote it after struggling with how unreliable bash is compared to Perl.

I can give the presentation again on goto meeting or at an ALE meeting.  I
am booked for the rest of the year, but I can do it next year.

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 6:31 PM, Chris Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>
wrote:

> Not a rant or question, just a thought.
>
> I've been working on "Jenga Linux" and since I do not have many perl
> modules until later in the build of LFS 7.10 I'm sticking to bash as much
> as possible.  GNU STOW is an exception, but it uses perl in /tools from
> chapter 5 until it can be installed in chapter 6. Beyond that , the only
> perl module in chapter 5 is XML::Parser.  I could install all modules
> needed in /tools and use them in chapter 6, but I'm forcing myself to
> expand my bash experience by using what most other disti creators use.
>
> It would nice to find a book titled: "Bash for Perl Programmers".  Very
> simple tasks I do in Perl are a struggle in bash.  Stack Exchange is not
> short on answers.
>
> Chris

Michael Potter
  Tapp Solutions, LLC