[ale] Can SFTP do this

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Thu Oct 13 15:36:32 EDT 2016

Not all sftp sites allow scp and/or have bash.

Here, we communicate with many partners over sftp and several of them use canned apps on Windows for the purpose.   Even those that do UNIX/Linux often have jailed the users on their end so have limited functionality beyond what sftp itself allows.

Since sftp has a batch option it is simplest for us to rely on sftp scripts.   We typically get ssh trust established to avoid having to store the password in clear text anywhere.   (I did recently play with “sshpass” as it allows one to send a password on the initial connection and it works but the preference is to do trusts instead.)