[ale] Can SFTP do this

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Oct 12 10:46:23 EDT 2016

On 10/12/2016 10:11 AM, Jerald Sheets wrote:
> I’ve always found it curious the number of folks that would use sftp over
> scp.  Is there any intrinsic benefit of one over the other?  The
> interactivity would annoy the bejeezus out of me.

I use sftp with GUIs. Believe it is a little faster. If there are old scripts
being used and they were designed for FTP, then sftp is an exact drop in
replacement, by design.  Usually from android and Windows (winscp), this is my
access mode.  sftp:// in almost any Linux file manager works.

Use scp in a shell, since bash-completion works across systems if ssh-keys are
available. If there are old scripts designed for rcp, then scp is an exact drop
in replacement, by design.  There is an -r option for recursive, but ...

Also use rsync (which uses ssh tunnels by default) a bunch if more than 1 file
or recursive copy is needed. bash-completion works with this too.  rsync is
smarter than scp. Knows when not to bother replacing existing bits that are
there already (only for network transfers).

Also use sshfs if I need general access to the remote storage and I'm not
certain what programs will be needed. It is slow, but sometimes the added
convenience of a mount is worth it.

Anyway, lots of options, each with a slightly different interface.