[ale] Grub2 jump to internal hard drive MBR

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Oct 10 11:25:03 EDT 2016

I'm trying to do something that I'm not sure is possible.

I'm using a bootable USB with Grub2 to boot up a Linux system on a device that has something installed on its internal drive.
Sometimes I need to boot of the internal drive to fix something on the USB stick. This requires walking to the cart the equipment is on, pulling the USB, booting, and plugging the USB back in. I'm running Grub2 with serial so I could do all this from my office.

I want to add an entry to grub.cfg on the USB that will jump to the MBR on the internal drive from the USB. Can I even do this? I'd like to select "Internal Drive" on the grub2 screen and then see the grub1 menu as if I booted without the USB.

I've tried this entry:

set timeout=10
insmod usb
insmod ext2
insmod serial
serial --speed=9600 --unit=0 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
terminal_input --append serial
terminal_output --append serial
set root=(hd0,1)

menuentry "Internal Drive" {