[ale] Debian/Ubuntu/Mint install

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Oct 10 00:27:46 EDT 2016

Don't wipe the disk: Doing so would make your warranty useless, becuase
you could not then jump through the silly little Windows diagnostic
hoops your laptop manufacturer's tech support will make you jump
through.

If you can't dual boot (it's become much harder since this UEFI
ridiculosity), buy a new disk for Linux, and keep the original one to
keep tech support happy. When your warranty expires, use that disk for
something else.

True story: It took me many phonecalls and a pressure nudge from
Costco's Concierge service to the laptop manufacturer to get a new
battery when the old one demonstrably couldn't charge enough to start
the computer. Every time they rattled off a windows diagnostic and I
said "sorry I have Linux, no such diagnostic", they replied "then we
can't help you. It's our policy."

SteveT