[ale] Tomcat Monitoring

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Oct 4 17:54:23 EDT 2016

Bit behind here. My Xfinity Business is down and I had to link my router to the Xfinity AP on my neighbor's modem.

1. Define "down". To some ICMP reply is up. To others it is not. Down/Up is an abstract idea that can be very different per application.

2. You can write a nagios plugin that can go to the web page, grok for some text you'd expect and alarm if it gets a 500 or the code it not there.

3. I had a user problem when my GUI devs did an update. Their update would take a minute, but some users would see that when the page refreshed. They'd contact us. I instructed my developers to give the user an "under maintenance page" with a 5 minute countdown to refresh. This ended those calls.

4. Log all exceptions, etc to a file and look at those as needed. You're probably already doing this.

Your concern is correct. Just because the app engine is up does not mean the app is working.