[ale] I helped with some code!

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 09:38:22 EDT 2016

Heh.  3mf  (http://www.3mf.io/ )is jockeying to become the Microsoft
Windows 10 file format for 3d models. It's an extension of stl format (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STL_%28file_format%29 ).  Microsoft runs a
free web service which will allegedly fix your 3d models for printing (
https://tools3d.azurewebsites.net/ ). That means correcting places in your
model where you have, infinitely small holes or impossible edges (like, mc
escher prints). Alas, the service returns .3mf files.  Most current
printing software needs an STL file for input.

I found a command-line converter from .3mf to .stl for linux, but it was
pretty raw. So I fixed it up and released it under the GPL (
https://github.com/lemgandi/3mf2stl ).  It's now . . . less raw.

Pretty fun stuff!

-- CHS