[ale] Why Run your own email server?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Oct 2 14:38:32 EDT 2016

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 12:04:56 -0400
Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> I once got a panicked phone call from a rather drunk office assistant
> who worked at one of my clients. Her boyfriend canceled a date at the
> last minute so she went out with the girls and got smashed. She took
> an _extremely_ personal selfie to show the BF what he was missing and
> fubar'ed badly the addressbook and sent the pic to her boss at work.

Embarrassment city!

One a guy sent a Season's Greeting email to the LyX mailing list, with
an attached Christmas picture. Unfortunately, instead of raindeers and
wreaths, the guy had somehow substituted a very detailed photo of a
pantsless, pantyless woman. If I'd done that I would have retired from
all online activities. The guy played it off well though. A few minutes
later he sent a post saying "sorry, wrong picture."

When Troubleshooters.Com started, I sent birth announcements to three
groups of a hundred people each (in other words, three emails). A few
days later my buddy, who was one of the ones receiving a birth
announcement, emailed to let me know he was quitting his job at HP, but
don't tell anyone yet, he hasn't given notice. Unfortunately he emailed
me by clicking reply-all to my 100 person birth announcement. Oops!

You've got to be careful.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28