[ale] MySQL array based snapshot

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 10:09:36 EST 2016

On Nov 22, 2016 9:59 AM, "Chris Fowler" <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:

> ________________________________

Loud google mouths are not always accurate. Dump your Google search cookie
and see what comes up again.

>> There is a STUN event but it's pretty short. The key that I see is to
lock the DB after a flush (see link) , make the LVM snapshot, then release
the lock, copy out the snapshot as a backup. The performance drag happens
during the copy of the snapshot but the copy can be 'nice 20' if things are
on a decent drive subsystem and drive failure is not expected to be eminent.

> I don't see them doing a LVM snapshot on the guest.  They'll do it on the
host.  Maybe they intend to do it on the guest.  Maybe VMWare does it for
them.

That's even easier. From inside vm, sync and lock db, vm snapshot, unlock.
Copy snapshot away. Flatten vm snapshot. Vmware and Ovirt/KVM will do this.