[ale] Network Connection - Lack Thereof

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Nov 7 00:38:29 EST 2016

On 11/06/2016 10:42 PM, Phil Turmel wrote:
> On 11/06/2016 08:53 PM, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
>> Thought /etc/udev didn't exist anymore. Systemd took over that.
>> I modified grub conf to always force the wired NIC to be eth0. Life has
>> been easier since on single NIC machines. Google will find the steps.
>
> My one systemd-from-the-ground-up gentoo system installed that folder,
> and the udev man-page says its the canonical place for local
> administrator overrides.
>
> Sample size == 1, though.

He isn't running gentoo.

He's running Mint - based on Ubuntu.  My sample-size is also 1 (only
have 16.04 on 1 machine).  1 file in /etc/udev/udev.conf - empty.

manpage for udev.conf says:

NAME
       udev.conf - Configuration for device event managing daemon

SYNOPSIS
       /etc/udev/udev.conf

DESCRIPTION
       systemd-udevd(8) expects its main configuration file at
       /etc/udev/udev.conf. It consists of a set of variables allowing the
       user to override default udev values. All empty lines or lines
       beginning with '#' are ignored. The following variables can be set:
udev_log
           The log level. Valid values are the numerical syslog
priorities or
           their textual representations: err, info and debug.

       In addition, systemd-udevd can be configured by command line options
       and the kernel command line (see systemd-udevd(8)).

systemd-udevd provides kernel boot options only. No config file
supported.  Genius, pure genius - NOT!  However, this is the method I
used to get eth0 back.  My sanity came with it for free.