[ale] External disk recommendation

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu May 19 23:07:51 EDT 2016

On Thu, 19 May 2016 15:57:58 -0400
Leam Hall <leamhall at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a resend. For some reason the mailer said it would wait a
> couple days to resend and I told my wife I'd try to order the drive
> sooner.
>

> My wife has an old Mac and I'm looking at a ~2 TB or so external drive
> for her. Looking at the Seagate Expansion 2TB Desktop External Hard
> Drive USB 3.0 (STEB2000100)
> (http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STEB2000100/dp/B00TKFEE9E).
>
> Her computer is USB 2, and older iMac. Is there a better drive in the
> $100 range? Speed isn't as important as reliability.
>
> Thanks!

I'd rather record my data on a cassette recorder, as was done from the
Timex Sinclair computers of 1982, than trust my data to a Seagate
product. If I were in your shoes, I'd hold out for a Western Digital
product. Still not the utmost in reliability, but compared to Seagate,
it's Fort Knox.

I've had seagates blow up on me in matters of months. The quickest a
Western Digital ever blew out on me was about 18 months, and I've had
quite a few last 5 years.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21